GSCCO announces the expansion of the commercial port of Jubail


Jubail commercial port
Image Credit: Provided

Gulf Stevedoring Contracting Company (GSCCO), part of the Gulftainer group of companies, announced improvements to the commercial port of Jubail. With the upgrades completed, the port now has the capacity to handle 1.8 million twenty-foot containers (TEUs) per year.

By increasing export volumes to Jubail, exporters in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will have the opportunity to directly reduce carbon emissions. According to the World Economic Forum, freight transport by truck accounts for around 25% of global transport emissions. Although 60 percent of the containers handled by freight operators in the Jubail region are currently moved through the port, the remaining 40 percent are transported via the Dammam highway. Exporters with ambitious carbon neutrality goals can remove an average of 101 km from the road with each container moved over Jubail.

Traffic jams and traffic accidents on the highway frequently delay access to Orientale Province and clutter up the surrounding hinterland. By improving Jubail’s throughput capabilities, cargo owners will be able to directly improve road safety and ensure the integrity of Saudi Arabia’s essential oil and gas supply chain.

Jason French, Managing Director of GSCCO, said: “As we modernize the commercial port of Jubail, we continue to work with the Saudi Ports Authority, Mawani and other key stakeholders, including SABIC and Sadara, to divert container transport to the port. GSCCO is committed to upholding the principles set out in the Saudi Vision 2030 and the Saudi Green Initiative, under the patronage of HRH Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, to offset the impact of fossil fuels and reduce the adverse effects on the climate. Home experts, moving containers by truck to Dammam instead of using the local port of Jubail represents the emission of 26.1 million kilograms of carbon per year. It is clearly economical and environmental to transport goods through the port of Jubail. “

Strategically located, this versatile port can handle containers, bulk and general cargo and is essential for the economic development of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.


Source link

Previous SSIF organizes the 4th forum on corporate governance | Jordan News
Next How corporate governance is evolving