Microsoft is about to implement a major restructuring plan in which the Windows and Devices Group (WDG) will be split into two separate and more focused groups. There will be a new set of resulting groups as follows:
- Rajesh Jha will lead a new team focused on experiences and devices.
- Devices will be led by Panos Panay, promoted to Chief Product Officer.
- Scott Guthrie will lead the new Cloud + AI Platform group.
- Windows Experiments will continue to be led by Joe Belfiore.
- New Experiences and Technologies: Kudo Tsunoda will continue to lead this team.
- Mobility and Enterprise Management: Brad Anderson will continue to lead Microsoft’s Windows Enterprise deployment and management efforts.
- Jason Zander is promoted to Executive Vice President, Azure, and will lead this team. He will oversee the Windows Platform team led by Harv Bhela, Henry Sanders and Michael Fortin.
The above is part of a larger reshuffle in smart cloud and smart edge adoption announced by Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella on Microsoft’s official blog yesterday.
While the WDG’s fracture plans were in the works, Nadella says he consulted with Terry Myerson, a 21-year Microsoft veteran, about the new corporate structure. They also spoke about Myerson’s plans once the transition is complete (and significant changes will be smoothed out with Myerson’s cooperation over the next few months).
If you’d like to learn more about Terry Myerson’s work at Microsoft and his plans for his departure, you can read his long LinkedIn post titled “Thank you for 21 years, and to the next chapter …” Myerson’s story begins with his first meeting with Bill Gates in 1996, through his years on the Microsoft Exchange team, going through Myerson’s time as the Windows Phone team leader, and then discussing the time period. most recent he spent at Microsoft as head of WDG.
Myerson will be leaving Microsoft with Windows 10 approaching 700 million users, with Xbox One running a Windows 10 kernel plus Surface and HoloLens looking good as devices pushing innovation. So what will he do after the transition period is over? He says he wants to train for an Ironman competition, learn to play guitar or piano, learn more about genomics and robotics, and spend more quality time with his wife and children.